Last month ASPIRE conducted a brief survey on Museum News, how cultural sector colleagues prefer to keep up with what's happening in the sector, and what kinds of news stories are of the greatest interest.
ASPIRE gathered responses from 73 respondents over 3 weeks (23rd May-14th June 2013), targetting cultural sector colleagues through the ASPIRE website, ASPIRE e-Newsletter, and the South East Museum Development newsletter.
What did that say?
1. What kind of museum/cultural sector news are you most interested in?
- Training events/workshops 17.29%
- Projects/work being conducted at other museums 15.16%
- Funding Opportunities 13.03%
- Resources, tool kits, etc. 11.97%
- General news about museums (exhibitions/what's on) 11.7%
- Conferences/Roundtables 10.9%
- Think pieces on the sector/policy 10.64%
- Job Opportunities 9.31%
Other areas of interest:
2. Where do you like for museum/cultural sector news?
- Museums Association website 18.61%
- Word of mouth from colleagues 18.61%
- Subscribe to relevant e-newsletters 17.88%
- Websites for local Museum Development/Federation 14.23%
- Twitter 12.04%
- Guardian Cultural Professionals Website 8.03%
- Follow relevant blogs 5.47%
- Facebook 5.11%
Other sources of news:
3. Do you engage with Oxford ASPIRE via any of the following methods?
- E-Newsletter 36.22%
- ASPIRE Website 24.41%
- Twitter (@OxfordASPIRE) 22.05%
- None 9.45%
- ASPIRE Blog 7.87%
4. Which of the following are you interested in hearing about from ASPIRE?
- Knowledge sharing events/workshops 17.35%
- Resources, tool kits, bursaries, etc. 14.03%
- Opportunities to work in partnership with ASPIRE 11.73%
- Conferences/Roundtable events 11.22%
- Policy think pieces 10.46%
- Projects/work at Oxford Museums 9.44%
- General news about Oxford Museums (exhibitions/what's on) 9.18%
- Job opportunities 8.93%
- ASPIRE advisory service 7.65%
- None of the above 0%
Thank you again to everyone who participated in our Museum News survey.